David D. Levine is the Hugo- and Nebula-winning author of the Regency interplanetary airship adventure novel Arabella of Mars (Tor 2016), sequels Arabella and the Battle of Venus (Tor 2017) and Arabella the Traitor of Mars (Tor 2018), and more than fifty science fiction and fantasy stories. Arabella of Mars won the 2017 Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy, his story “Tk’Tk’Tk” won the 2006 Hugo Award for Best Short Story, his story “Nucleon” won the James White Award, and he has been shortlisted for awards including the Hugo, Nebula, Campbell, Sturgeon, and Locus. His stories have appeared in Asimov’s, Analog, F&SF, Realms of Fantasy, Tor.com, numerous anthologies and websites, and multiple Year’s Best anthologies, as well as his collection Space Magic from Wheatland Press, which won the Endeavour Award for the best SF or Fantasy book by a Pacific Northwest writer.
David is a contributor to George R. R. Martin’s bestselling shared-world series Wild Cards. He is also a member of Book View Cafe, a writer-owned publishing cooperative, and Oregon Science Fiction Conventions Inc., a non-profit organization which produces OryCon and other SF conventions. He has narrated podcasts for Escape Pod, PodCastle, and StarShipSofa and the audiobook of Space Magic, and his video production “Dr. Talon’s Letter to the Editor” was a finalist for the Parsec Award. In 2010 he spent two weeks at the Mars Desert Research Station, a simulated Mars base in the Utah desert.
David lives in a hundred-year-old bungalow in Portland, Oregon. His web site can be found at www.daviddlevine.com.
On this website
- Twitter (daviddlevine)
- Facebook (David D. Levine)
- Instagram (daviddlevine)
- Tumblr (david-d-levine)
- Goodreads (daviddlevine)
- Dreamwidth (davidlevine)
- Google+ (David D. Levine)
- Ello (daviddlevine)
- Clarion West One-Day Workshop: Integrating Character, Plot, and Worldbuilding
- Alpha Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Workshop for Young Writers
- Cascade Writers Workshop
- Rainforest Writers Village
- Singularity University
- Arts & Communications Magnet Academy
- Numerous science fiction convention writers’ workshops
- NASA Social, 2014
- Mars Desert Research Station, 2010
- Launch Pad astronomy workshop, 2008
- Taos Toolbox writers’ workshop, 2008
- Writers of the Future workshop and ceremony, 2002
- Clarion West, 2000
- The Complete Creative
- Under Candlelight – also available as a video
- Roundtable Podcast
- SF Signal
- The Outer Alliance
- Dialogue: Between the Lines
- The Sci-Phi Show
- StarShipSofa episode 614: “Glass Eyes, Steel Hands, Metal Mind” by Deborah L. Davitt
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies episode 215: “Weft” by Rahul Kanakia
- Glittership episode 22: “Into the Nth Dimension” by David D. Levine
- StarShipSofa episode 422: “Rights and Wrongs” by Brian K. Lowe
- StarShipSofa episode 405: “The Wreck of the Mars Adventure” by David D. Levine
- The Overcast episode 8: “Primates” by David D. Levine
- StarShipSofa episode 377: “Mammals” by David D. Levine
- Escape Pod episode 475: “Homegrown Tomatoes” by Lara Elena Donnelley
- Escape Pod episode 402: “The Tale of the Golden Eagle” by David D. Levine
- Tales to Terrify episode 65: “Letter to the Editor” by David D. Levine
- PodCastle miniature 76: “Quiet Death Machines” by Gillian Daniels
- Toasted Cake episode 98: “Pacha the Purring Prognosticator” by K. G. Jewell
- StarShipSofa episode 327: “Pupa” by David D. Levine
Video training courses
- AWK Essential Training
- Insights from David D. Levine, Writer, Designer, and Engineer
- Up and Running with VI
- SED Essential Training
- Managing Mailing Lists with Mailman
- Here’s an article about me from the Hollywood Star, a Portland neighborhood paper.
- My stories have been translated into languages including French, German, Czech, Hebrew, Swedish, Romanian, Finnish, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and Catalan.
- I am available for speaking engagements.
- My novel-length works are represented by Paul Lucas of Janklow & Nesbit Associates. For inquiries about my short fiction, please contact me directly.