My story “Letter to the Editor” was accepted by John Joseph Adams for his anthology The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination; my story “Trust” was accepted by Daily Science Fiction; I have received an ARC of the revised Wild Cards I, which will be available on November 23; the website for the Cascade Writers writing workshop is now open for registration; and I’m quoted briefly in an Oregonian article about climate change in SF.
Yay! StarShipSofa wants to podcast my story from Interzone 228. But! Gardner Dozois in Locus didn’t like it. Ya win some, ya lose some.
While I was in Australia I didn’t write a word, but when I came home I found that a lot had happened in my absence:
- Horror story “Floaters” was podcast in issue 177 of The Drabblecast
- Ghost story “A Little Song, A Little Dance” was published in Book View Cafe’s charity e-anthology Breaking Waves
- Vampire story “Family Matters” was published in anthology Fangs for the Mammaries, edited by Esther Friesner
- Fantasy story “Nucleon” was reprinted in anthology Retro Spec: Tales of Fantasy and Nostalgia, edited by Karen A. Romanko
- An interview with me was published at AusLit.net.
- I received the Sacred Chalice of Glory trophy from The Drabblecast for the podcast of my story “Babel Probe”, which won the People’s Choice Award for Best Drabblecast Story of the Year. Unfortunately, Kate says she doesn’t want that eyeball on her mantel.
- I learned that next April I will be the Stollee Lecturer at Buena Vista University in Storm Lake, Iowa, where my Clarion West classmate Inez teaches in the English department. I’ve never been an endowed lecturer before. (No, wait, that didn’t sound right.)
I also received three rejections and a rewrite request. The rejected stories have all gone back out and I’ll be starting on the rewrite shortly.
“A Little Song, A Little Dance,” a ghost story co-written with Andrine de la Rocha, will appear in charity anthology Breaking Waves: An Anthology for Gulf Coast Relief from Book View Cafe. Also, take a gander at the cover for Wild Cards I, coming in November!
I’ll be giving my Mars talk at the Mars Society’s annual convention (August 5-8 in Dayton, Ohio). I’ll be presenting to the whole convention right after Robert Zubrin opens the event! My Realms of Fantasy story “Joy is the Serious Business of Heaven” was selected as an Honorable Mention by Gardner Dozois in his Year’s Best SF. And the September 2010 Analog, Interzone 228, Alembical 2, and Escape Pod episode 240, all with stories by me, are now available.
My unpublished story “Citizen-Astronaut” won Second Prize in the 2010 Jim Baen Memorial Writing Contest. My story “Galactic Stress” was named one of the Notable Stories of 2009 for the storySouth Million Writers Award. Alembical 2, including my novella “Second Chance,” is now available for pre-order and got a starred review from Publishers Weekly. And the sixty-minute Tech Talk about my trip to “Mars” I presented to the engineers at Google is now available on YouTube.
Alembical 2 from Paper Golem Press, which includes my novella “Second Chance,” will be launching at Balticon at the end of May. May should also see the publication of Interzone 228, including my story “A Passion for Art;” the anthology Légendes, including the French translation of “Tale of the Golden Eagle;” and the May issue of Laptop, including a “Burning Question” section with a short essay by me about futuristic technology. Also, in the April Locus, Rich Horton gave my story “Teaching the Pig to Sing” a Recommended review.